Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Super quick toy storage from a t-shirt

Sick of tripping over stuffed animals in the middle of the night, I made a net for the toys from an old t-shirt. Yeah, I could have just bought a hammock, but those are $10, aren't they? I'm waaaay to cheap for that.


To make one, you need a t-shirt, a pair of scissors, and some time to cut things (like when you are watching a movie).

1. Cut the sleeves and neck band off the shirt.
2. Cut the t-shirt open along one side seam to make a rectangular(ish) piece of fabric.
Note: This is the point where I stitched the arm hole from the other side closed every few inches, but I don't think it is strictly necessary.
3. Fold the top of the rectangle down about an two inches and make one inch cuts every inch. 
4. Fold the top of the rectangle down another inch and make one inch cuts between the previous cuts. (See below image)
5. Repeat step 4 until you have reached the bottom of the rectangle.
6. Hang your newly made stuffed animal hammock. I tacked it in three places: right side, left side, center back. (I used thumb tacks, which may or may not be the best idea, but they've held just fine for an entire week now.) 
7. Put all the stuffed animals in the hammock and watch your three your old try to figure out how to get them all "out of bed". Oh, wait, that part is just for me. Hmmm.

General cutting diagram:

Where to tack:

2 comments:

  1. hey thanks! this tutorial helped me get my room a lot less cluttered. i love it! mine doesn't look as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this is a very creative unique way to make a net for the stuffies -but I definitely would use something different for attaching, as I think thumbtacks would not be safe for 3 yr olds - in case came out of wall and stepped on or maybe put in mouth

    ReplyDelete