Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Proof of Love

Have you read The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman? I did. I think I read it when I was pregnant with Mara. I recommend reading it - past the religious overtones is a really good anthropological look at how people understand and express love. While reading it, I instantly recognized gifts as my sister's language, and acts of service as mine.

Yesterday, I got a package in the mail. I knew it was coming; my sister gave me a heads up on Saturday that she sent it. I spent a lot of time checking out the window to see if the postal worker was here yet. At 3:36pm he pulled in. I tried to wait patiently for the thud against my front door. Mara woke up as I was waiting. I scooped her up as the package was set against the door, and made my way down the stairs. I opened the door and found this:


So exciting! I took the box up to my room so I could open it in peace (read: without children on top of me). I opened it and found this:


I expected the circular needles and grey yarn, both to make a pair of thigh highs for my sister, and the purple to make a pair of arm warmers for her as well. The green, though... that was a surprise. I picked it up, and squished it. I set it in my lap, and looked for a note. No note. The following text convo ensued:

Me: Is the green for me?
Pooks: Green is just for you because I thought you'd like it.
Me: I love it! I opened the box and squeed.
Pooks: Yay! I don't know what you'll use it for, but I'm sure you can think of something.
Me: I can't find my arm warmers, so I think I will use the green for those. I was actually thinking about how much I miss my hand warmers this morning. The green is perfect!

Pooks frequently gets me gifts I didn't realize I wanted, but when I get them I am not sure how I lived without them.

Yesterday, I worked very hard to finish two projects so I could get to the projects for her. This morning, I started on her arm warmers. This afternoon, I finished them. Tomorrow I will post them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment