I finished another rag rug today. This is proof that I am ridiculous, and should have just finished these rugs ages ago. I used the same methods as I mentioned for the rag rug I finished yesterday: the toothbrush method for most, and crocheting for the last few rounds. This rug has a story, but not as long as the last one.
Around the time that I got pregnant with Mara, I started a rag rug using old t-shirts. These t-shirts were beyond hope. Stained, starting to get holes, covered in paint. They were free t-shirts that friends had given me when I was in college, and I had worn many times in the scene shop. They were too icky to even wear to my overnight stocking job, so I decided to retire them. I looked around for ways to reuse old t-shirts, and came across the above tutorial. I started working on it two years ago. This morning, I picked up the rug, a crochet hook (size M), the rest of my t-shirt pieces (about half a pink, and half a blue) and a pair of scissors. Then I cut the pieces into strips, and started hooking. Gabriel made me take my work outside to enjoy the sun with him :) From picking up the materials to completing the three crochet rounds took me only a few hours, and most of that was cutting, connecting and rolling the t-shirt yarn. If I had been thinking about it, I could have saved some time by pulling out my cutting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter. Something to keep in mind for my next project.
I used a total of 4 shirts: 2 pink, 2 blue. The finished diameter measurement is 22".