It's sewing Thursday! I did the actual sewing on Tuesday, according to plan, and then my body was like, "Girl, did you forget that you are female? Don't worry, I will remind you all week. With a headache." My evil headache has subsided, so now I can show you this super easy, anyone with a little patience can do it, project.
To make a 3"x4" change purse, you will need:
A piece of material, cut to measure 8"x4.5"
A button, or other closure
Sewing machine (optional)
1. Lay your rectangle of fabric face down. Fold the edge of one of the short sides over 1/4" to make a hem for the bag. Pin it, then sew the hem down. If you are sewing the bag by hand, I recommend using a backstitch - it makes a stronger stitch than a running stitch, and a neater finish than a whip stitch.
2. Turn the fabric over so the pretty side is now facing you. Position the hem you just made at the bottom of the rectangle. Fold the bottom up 3". Pin at the sides; sew along the sides from the hem to the new fold, 1/4" from the edge.
3. Turn the pocket right-side out. Cut the two top corners at about a 45 degree angle to cut out bulkiness. Fold the sides of the flap down to correspond with the sides of the pouch, about 1/4". Pin, then sew.
4. Fold the top hem down 1/4". Pin, then sew.
5. Fold the flap in half by pulling the hem down. Carefully make a small vertical slit in the center of the flap. Open the fold and increase the cut to be just large enough for the button to pass through.
5. Use the buttonhole stitch around the cut to keep your fabric from fraying. Position the button to be directly under the lit when the flap is folded over. Sew the button in place.
6. Love your new versatile pouch, and fill it with all sorts of things - your I.D. and credit card when going out, business cards, packets of moist wipes swiped the next time you go to a bbq place... or just your spare change.
If you would like a change purse but don't want to make your own, you can look in my etsy shop or contact me with a request and I will do my best to find a fabric and closure you will love.