Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Make Do and Knit

Today's installment is brought to you by my irritation with my sponge falling apart this morning. One corner fell off while I was washing out a pot. 


I'm tired of spending money on sponges that fall apart in a few months. When I was growing up, we used wash cloths for dishes. I have a few dishcloths, but... I'm just not a fan. They get the job done, but there is something I don't like about them. I don't like using wash cloths, either. I thought about it for a couple hours, and realized I like the size of sponges. With that enlightenment, I knit up a quick garter stitch dish cloth, but made it sponge sized:
 

It didn't feel thick enough, though. So I used a heel stitch across the body of the sponge. Still not thick enough.

Then I listened to a podcast that mentioned using multiple strands of yarn held together to knit thicker fabric. I knew about this, of course, but it didn't occur to me to use this technique until I heard someone talking about it. An "ah-ha" moment, some sticks and string later, I have two sponges that are almost as thick as kitchen sponges. And if knitted dish cloths are anything to go off of, these sponges will not be falling apart any time soon.

The sponges are easy to make, but if you are not knitting inclined, you can find them in my Etsy shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment